Saturday, January 13, 2007

NOAM CHOMSKY: KILLS BUZZ FAST!

(listening to Pete Townshend's demo of Behind Blue Eyes)
I got Noam Chomsky's "Failed States" for Waronchristmas (in the original German "Der Gescheiterte Staat". I just took it with me to The Bar. Dudes. Not nearly as conducive to a high as the book I just finished (The Fellowship of the Ring for the billionth time, if you must know).

(listening to Rock It by Herbie Hancock)
Recently I've become convinced that, come hell or high water, Dubyah is going to attack Iran and/or Syria. I don't know whose army he will use (his own Navy, if the entrails are read correctly), but I don't doubt it. I really want to doubt it, though. I wonder (as Sting's Fortress Around Your Heart comes on) where that will leave me. As some of you may know, the Lady Birgit and I are betrothed. Should the US start yet another war I would, I think, be honor bound to Do Something. As it happens, my passport is due for an update.

This is, of course, a great time to be an American (foreign policy aside) because of David Beckham's imminent arrival in Los Angeles. (ooh! Wynton Marsalis and the Eastman Wind Ensemble performing Napoli--Variations on a Neopolitan Song!) I hope he fares better than Lothar Matthäus. I suppose his English is marginally better, so he has that going for him. It is worth pointing out that Miroslav Klose is on the market, and he would score 10 goals a game in the MLS if he had half of an asshole feeding him.

(Marvin Gaye, Got to Give it Up, Part 1) I'm just going to groove for a bit.

To get back to Matt's comments in the most recent post, I have to ask if the Ben Folds Five album "Whatever and Ever, Amen" counts as nerdrock. Because the song "Kate" is nerdy, rocking, and touching. And North Carolinian.

(Cloudbursting by Kate Bush) My New Year's resolution, aside from maintaining my blog, is to follow NCAA college football again. My mother seems to get into it more and more as the years go by and I need it so as to make conversation. There was a time when I was on top of things, but I'm way out of the loop now. Help me? I know that the (hated, but SEC) Florida Gators won It All. Beyond that I'm stumped. For example, Boisie State? The Fuck?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do Something? Like What?

Greg said...

Like what, indeed. At the moment I typed that I was thinking of what sort of passport I carry and whether I'd hadn't rather get a different one. If you take my meaning (I don't want to jinx myself by saying anything more for now).

And anyway, there's always the Democrats. They'll stop ole Dubyah before he does something else stupid. Right? This time?