Thursday, February 08, 2007

IN MY MIND, I'M GOING TO CAROLINA

The blogosphere is all a-twitter over something that is simultaneously about blogging AND interesting. Mind you, the blogosphere is very small when viewed through my eyes. There are a few blogs, other than those belonging to friends, which I check out every few days and only two I check out most every day. A big reason for this is that I find most of the "big" blogs tedious and navelgazing (and don't get me started on open threads).

One of the everyday blogs is Pandagon (which I very much like) and it just so happens that events involving Pandagon have set Pandagon a-twitter.

In case you don't know, it boils down to the following. Amanda (of Pandagon) and Melissa (of Shakespeare's Sister, which seems to have no connection to the musical group or Shakespeare) were hired for internets work by the Jan-Edwards-for-Most-Popular-Girl campaign. Some of Mr Edwards's enemies (the fascist ones, not the leftist ones) noticed something that he seems not to have: Amanda and Melissa are bloggers (!), and have written things (!!), and have clear opinions (!!!), and these aren't everyone's cup of tea (!!!!), and they sometimes use durdie werds) (!!!!!).

Jan Edwards caved. Fired them.

EDITED TO ADD: Erm. Turns out those last two sentences aren't true. More edits in []s, below.

Now I would have been unlikely to vote for Jan in any event (at some point I'm going to sort through the candidates properly, but my gut tells me the Kuch is still my boyfriend), but this would [have been] be a good reason to change my mind if I had been considering it. Why? Well.

- His campaign hired two people to do public work without, apparently, having checked into them. This is stupid. [Or rather, would have been. Or is. Or something.]
- Or, the campaign did check into Amanda and Melissa and saw no problems, but immediately wimped out when challenged. This is the same sort of weak-kneed turditude that's served the party so well for the last 30 years. This is bad. [It would have been, I mean.]
- They backed down [not], by the way, when challenged BY ENEMIES. Not by friends. So, in order to keep the support of people who don't support them, they fired [not] two people who DO (did?) support them. And the [non-] fired people have a pulpit! This is stupid AND bad. [would have been]

There are loads of other things that bug me about this.

What doesn't bug me:

- Jan is free to hire or fire whomever he wishes. He's the boss.
- Anyone is free to complain about Jan's decision in this regard.

In any event, it is an interesting saga. Follow it on Pandagon. While there, check out this post and especially the comments (which are one of my least favorite things about blogs like Atrios, but most favorite about Pandagon). In this particular thread there is a fantastic rebuttal to a trollish comment.

EDIT: It remains interesting. I'm sorry Jan. I thought I saw confirmation of the firing. As my grandmother used to say, though, I thought like Lit, and smell like shit (no one knows what that means, but it rhymes). I officially reopen my heart to the outside possibility of voting for you.

EDIT: Although I am an admirer of civility, I don't think it is required in blogging. Furthermore, I don't think religious people get insulted nearly often enough. They're so cute when they're indignant. I will soon write about Richard Dawkins's recent extended attempt to bring out their cuteness.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I just got the idea that, perhaps, I misunderstood something. Could it be that Jan is NOT firing?

I must investigate further. And may have to apologize to Jan. But not for calling him Jan.

Anonymous said...

yeah, the last thing I read about this ridiculousness is that John John is not going to fire manda and shakes